The Catholic University Counseling Center offers an externship program for advanced doctoral students in Clinical Psychology, Counseling, or Counseling Psychology and for advanced graduate students in Social Work.
This part-time training program is ideal for students looking to hone their clinical skills, expand their theoretical knowledge, and collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment. The Counseling Center's externship program has an integrative theoretical perspective with a specialized focus on multiculturalism.
The Counseling Center serves as the primary mental health agency for Catholic University students. It provides a broad range of direct services, including individual and group therapy, consultation, outreach, and emergency response programs.
At the Catholic U Counseling Center, we are committed to the three Cs: Comprehensive, Culture, and Community. By providing training in multidisciplinary and multitheoretical service delivery, nuanced exploration of identity and culture, and a cohesive support system, we offer externs the opportunity to be challenged and excel in their training as future social workers and psychologists.
- Short-term and long-term therapy
- Group therapy
- Walk-in consultations
- Intake assessments
- Psychiatry consultations
- Individual supervision
- Group supervision
- Case conference
- Exposure to CBT, DBT, ACT, multicultural, and psychodynamic approaches
- Learn how to understand clients as multicultural beings with diverse
- Specialized training in understanding spirituality as an element of diversity
- Biweekly Multicultural Spotlight to understand your own identities and how they affect clinical work
- Weekly Considering Culture in Case Conference
- Monthly Book Club to discuss relevant social justice issues
- Diverse extern cohort of social work and psychology graduate students
- Agency culture of support and collaboration
- Connection to other offices in the Division of Student Affairs
- Lifelong membership in a rich community of Catholic U Counseling Center training alumni throughout the Washington, DC area
No picture due to pandemic